Saturday, March 18, 2006

Uh oh here I go...........

I know that I might run into some serious trouble if I start overextending my bankroll and jump into a regular game with only 5 buy-ins, but I know I can beat the game. The plan was to work up my bankroll until DECEMBER doing this whole Sit N Go thing, but not cashing in a tourney after a long time (especially when it's only 1 table) can really get a guy's hope down. A consistent cash game might be the only cure.....

As I shared in my last entry, I only played the 5/10 on UB for 44 minutes before the game broke and I profited $220; a huge pickup for one hour of play as far as BB/hr are concerned. Well the next day I decided to give it another go, as the $20+2 SnGs just didn't seem appetizing to me. I bought in for 200 and ONE HOUR later I left the table with $384, a $184 profit. One hour again, and 18BBs up. In the hour and 45 minutes that I played in the 2 days, I made a profit of $405. That's not bad for under 2 hours of play at a 5/10 table. Of course that's only 1 hour at a time, and that's completely unreasonable to think that I would make that much on a consitant hourly basis. I know that, every poker player knows that. But what makes a poker player? Being able to grind it out and profit overall at the end of the day/week/month.

Last night I decided I would play for a bit again, maybe 2-4 hours. Well I bought in for 200 and within the first hour I was down to $70 and the table broke. I had actually been down to around $30, but I played HU with this guy for a few before he decided $40 was enough to give me and jammed on me. So I took my $70 to another table and decided it was time to get it all back. I grinded it out, dropping back down to around $25 before I boosted it back to over $200 and found myself getting tired. I had played for a little under 2 hours, but since the first hour I had made back what I lost and profitted $13. I decided to quit before I started playing stupid, and took my small profit with pride.

I might have been able to keep playing and probably could've easily got past that $200 profit mark at the table I had moved to within the next 2 hours, but I've been sick since Thursday night and my head was still kinda wobbly, so I decided just to call it a night, content with the fact that I got my buy-in back. If I ever have time to put in a real session, I might have more to blog about, like maybe some HH's or specific instances besides Well I made money cuz I played for an hour.....

I'm starting to concern myself, however, because with only 5 buy-ins, my "bankroll" will always be on edge. But after that extended run of getting my ass handed to me in the SnGs, the 5/10 just seems to be calling my name. Maybe it's the insta-wins, or maybe it's because I miss playing limit, but whatever it is it's pulling me in. I've read numerous blogs where the writer/player overdid himself and put too much on the line, which left that person to hang dry. Of course those were on much bigger scales, considering I have a 9-5'er and all that good stuff, but at the same time I think that once I play on a schedule I will be able to play at least 6 hours a night, 4-6 days a week, and I'm really looking forward to feeling that I might be able to use some of this poker money for life.

Probably the main thing that's keeping me wanting to play the 5/10 with no BR is the fact that at this level I don't have to play creatively (though I can and it will work sometimes). At this level all I have to do (and all I've been doing) is playing basic, by-the-book limit poker, and I get paid off most of the time! It might be boring compared to some of the higher level, higher thinking competition, but it still lessens the swings of the game and I still profit, which means that I don't necessarily HAVE to have a bankroll to play in it semi-consistantly. Now if that's just MY rationilization of the situation, then someone should tell me so that I don't blow what little I have worked up so far, cuz I'm thinkin I might just start playin the 5/10 regularly already instead of waiting. What do you all think? Utilize that comment box.

Bankroll: $987

1 comment:

Darsky said...

Ummmm...You should, er, eh, do something...poker..ish? I guess.