Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Damn You Philly...Damn You

Another weekend in the NFL has passed and like a broken spring in a set of gears, another Philadelphia fan has shot out of the They'll Be Okay clock and has landed in the bucket of Maybe Next Year among his fellow sprigs. Football. It's wonderful. It's painful.

This weekend's loss at home against the Bears hurt a little extra, because as much as I didn't want to bet on the Eagles, I had them holding up two of my remaining parlay cards well into Sunday afternoon. Everything looked good. Everything looked fine.

1:30 left in the fourth quarter, Philly up by 4. Chicago has no more timeouts. Deep in their own territory. Philly just don't let them in the endzone for a minute and a half. Simple stuff. Here we go!

1:00 left in the fourth quarter. Griese airs one out and completes to midfield. No problem. They have no timeouts and a field goal won't do. The Eagles know it, they know that all they have to do is for sixty seconds keep the Bears out of the endzone and they go 3-3 and have a small shot in the division.

0:09 left in the fourth quarter. I'm crying on the couch, cursing the Eagles through my tears for the amount of money I would have won on the two cards. Instead I'm left punching the couch cusions for two hours straight because I end up losing money in the end, thanks to Philly giving up a game-winning touchdown with :30 left.

I'm not the only Philadelphia Eagles fan ready to look ahead to next season. I'm sure there a few who started before I did. And I'm not the only one who lost money thanks to the Eagles this weekend, nor did I lose more than anyone. But the feeling of needing my team to win in order to have a shot of coming into playoff contention later this year coupled with the fact that they were all that stood between me and a healthy win pushed me over the mental sports fan cliff.

Obviously this isn't going to keep me from betting the games again this weekend. I need redemption! This past weekend I would've won despite the Eagles draining loss if I had listened to my guts instead of the numbers and the "experts". But, like I'll be tempted to do, I listened to the voices outside of my head and it cost me. I have a new strategy coming this weekend, and hopefully I'll be able to pick up a little bit of cash.

In other gambling related news, I'm currently planning my birthday trip to Vegas. There should be a decent group of us getting a few suites at the Venetian and doing the Vegas thing the weekend before Christmas.

What does that mean? Everyone will have just finished up Christmas shopping and will be awesomely out of cash, so it looks like the small weekends in Vegas will continue for a little while longer.

I've started to enjoy small weekends in Vegas, as the last trip with my dad turned out to be another unforgettable experience in Sin City. The stories I hear on a regular basis about his past times in Las Vegas make me love it even more. This trip was a little more personally enjoyable, as it was not only another vacation, but it was a fun time spent with my father, which is something I haven't had in a long, long time.

I'm going to write that trip report soon, and will probably be putting up a Vegas section to this blog. I'm also thinking of starting a new, possibly joint, blog about my Vegas trips instead. I'm also currently trying to redo Sitting The Apple's layout, which is part of the reason why there's been a huge lack of updates.

In the end, I'll tell you I'll keep trying to update. But I'll slack, you'll get mad at me, call me names, and then come crawling back once again to this wonderful outlet of my mind and useless ramblings. At least I update more than Darsky... and I work so at least I have an excuse you long-haired freeman!

Until next time.

3 comments:

Darsky said...

The green-eyed monster rears its ugly head once again.

Chawwles said...

Jealousy, huh? Jealousy? JEALOUSY??



Ok a little...

Brando said...

You update more than that lazy piece of crap brando too... I had a slightly similar experience as you but with pittsburgh last week.. they were holding up two parlay cards for me and BLEW IT against denver! gaaaaagh!