Sunday, May 13, 2007

The Regular Realization of the Work Tarp

After a horribly boring Wednesday through Friday, Friday night did not fail to deliver. I made plans with a chick friend to go out for dinner, drinks, etc. She had school on Saturday morning, so she couldn't drink a lot, but I had no such restrictions and I was determined to erase some of the most boring days I'd experienced in a while.

I headed downtown at around 6PM to meet up with a couple people who were drinking where one of our friends was bartending that evening. I wasn't meeting for dinner until around 8, so I had a little bit of time to hang out and take care of a few beers. When she showed up she sat for one drink before we took off to find food.

We ended up finding a nice Italian place, where we polished off a really good meal and a bottle of pinot noir. We had a great time, the atmosphere was super nice, and the $126 bill was well worth it. After that we hit up a pub for some more drinks and ended up staying until close.

She seemed to be having a great time, and for me it was definitely another great getaway from the daily, uninteresting grind at the office. Most days while I'm at work I just go through the motions. Come in, pound through six cups of coffee before 11 o'clock comes around, and start thinking about lunch. After lunch, I head back and wait for 4:30 to come around so I can get home.

The work I do is not hard, nor is it incredibly mind-draining. There's been a few times when I've actually had to use my brain, and in those few scarce times I actually enjoyed it. I enjoyed the mental challenge, and when no one else is smart enough to figure out solutions to the problems presented to the company, I like being the one that can help.

It's because of that that I have the position I do with this company, and why I'm seen as valuable to the higher ups. The downside of what I do is that when I'm not needed to do things that require skills/brains, all the menial tasks bore me beyond belief.

When I got back from Vegas last weekend, I felt awesome. Vegas is always nonstop fun, as evidenced by last weekend when I was up for 50 hours straight. Even when I return from Vegas, the thrill of the time spent there will keep my mind occupied for a couple days. Of course, after the memories dissipate I'm left to daydream about the next time I'll be able to head out there again.

Luckily for me, on Tuesday I was presented by a request from the big bossman to work on a project that could take months to accomplish. He was pretty blatant about the fact that he knew that nobody else in the small company could handle it, and that I was more qualified to take on the quest more than even he was. I know that the suits of companies have to talk up the valuable employees so that they'll stick around, and that's something I'll never forget. But even with that, I sure did feel like a badass at the end of the lunch meeting.

Even though I'm not getting paid a lot right now, I hear a lot of promise and have already seen a little bit of follow through. I'm making a decent amount for my age right now, and I feel like if I stick around for a while I could be making quite a bit at a pretty young age. That thought, coupled with the freedom I have working for a small business (leaving early, alcohol at lunch, etc. etc.) have kept me around this long already, and will probably keep me here for a while more.

For now, I'll put up with the monotony of the every day work, but I can only imagine how bored I'll be until something big happens.

Until next time.

2 comments:

Brando said...

ah yes... the 9-5 work week. I can't say I miss it. If you ever decide on that career change i hear vegas is great! as for craps.. i'm looking forward to the next visit from you guys

Chawwles said...

I've often thought about moving out there to deal poker until I get on my feet, but I have a buddy who deals out there that pretty much assured that it's difficult to get in anywhere out there.

Fortunately, this job is starting to pick up steam and I might make somethin of myself if I stick with it.

And Darsky hates gambling now that he's playing full-time, but we definitely gotta pull him into the pit.