Thursday, May 13, 2010

Operation Robusto Begins

After making it through my first semester back in school, and pulling in enough money to pay bills and eat by working from home, I've decided it's time to start up a tiny bit of poker playing again.

After a little discussion with lifetime friend/poker playing partner/ex-degenerate (read: in the weeds) Joe, I've decided to take a super small stake and try to build up a bankroll online. I'm only taking a $30 starting roll and playing $10NL on Stars. Most people would call that stupid, and say that I'm stupid for trying to put any weight behind what I'm doing. At some point I may have agreed. But for now, I want to see if this will work.

If I lose it, I put the project on hold for another time. If I win and manage to make it to some higher games, then I might be back in money-making territory. And if I get bored, I'll cash it out and have a fun weekend in Vegas at least!

It's been two sessions of play, and I've already had to relearn some things about the game of poker. I made two stupid, stupid moves on Session 1, and it cost me the night's profit. During Session 2 I hit a few hands, and managed to play the hell out of these Aces:

Poker Stars $0.05/$0.10 No Limit Hold'em - 9 players

The Official DeucesCracked.com Hand History Converter

BTN: $9.55
SB: $10.65
BB: $10.00
Hero (UTG): $13.35
UTG+1: $5.10
UTG+2: $10.00
MP1: $11.00
MP2: $10.00
CO: $14.30

Pre Flop: ($0.15) Hero is UTG with A of diamonds A of hearts
Hero raises to $0.40, 5 folds, BTN calls $0.40, 2 folds

Flop:
($0.95) 3 of hearts 5 of diamonds 3 of clubs (2 players)
Hero bets $0.70, BTN calls $0.70

Turn: ($2.35) 8 of clubs (2 players)
Hero checks, BTN bets $1.60, Hero calls $1.60

River: ($5.55) 7 of clubs (2 players)
Hero checks, BTN bets $2.70, Hero raises to $8.20, BTN calls $4.15 all in

Final Pot: $19.25

BTN shows 8 of diamonds T of diamonds (two pair, Eights and Threes)
Hero shows A of diamonds A of hearts (two pair, Aces and Threes)

Hero wins $18.30

Of course in this case I can thank the Button for floating the 810dd and trying to hit, but after the raise on the river he tanked down to his time bank and reluctantly called.

I did stack off with QQ against KK on a 10-high board, but at the end of the night the session proved that I still know how to play the game. A little bit.

Anyone who still finds the link to this blog floating around in cyberspace can feel free to comment, ask questions, or just read. I was getting a lot of readers back in '06, but I haven't played a hand of poker for quite some time. Hopefully with a little retraining and a little luck from the online poker gods, I'll be able to really get this blog back to its true meaning - sitting the apple.



OPERATION: ROBUSTO - Session 2

Gain/Loss: +$38
Total Bankroll: $67
-------------------
Tournament Gain/Loss: -$7
Total Bankroll: $60

No comments: